Energy Storage Demonstration Projects
Energy Storage Demonstration projects involve a variety of technologies including advanced batteries, flywheels, and underground compressed air systems. These projects are demonstrating a variety of size ranges and system configurations and their impacts on the grid. Technical and economic performance is being evaluated for a variety of applications including load shifting, ramping control, frequency regulation services, voltage smoothing, distributed energy, and the grid integration of renewable resources such as wind and solar power.
Interim and final Technology Performance Reports (TPRs) are submitted by the recipients to DOE. Each TPR contains the following information:
- An overview of the project including a list of objectives, system designs, schedules and milestones, and interactions with project stakeholders.
- Descriptions of the technologies and systems used in the project, including the sizes, types, and configurations of the storage module, power conversion devices, and balance of plant equipment.
- Descriptions of the methodologies and algorithms for estimating the physical and financial performance of the energy storage systems, their grid impacts, and the value of the benefits.
- Summaries of the results of the performance of the systems and technologies derived from lab tests, field tests, or grid-connected applications.
- Summaries of the results of the analysis of grid impacts and estimation of benefits.
- Summary of the major finding and conclusions including lessons learned and best practices.
- Summary of future plans and next steps with respect to additional testing, demonstration, or deployment.
- ARRA Energy Storage Demonstration Projects: Lessons Learned and Recommendations - June 2015
- Methodology to Determine the Technical Performance and Value Proposition for Grid-Scale Energy Storage Systems - June 2015
- DOE Energy Storage Computational Tool User Guide 1.2 - July 2012
- Energy Storage Computational Tools
- Energy Storage for the Electricity Grid: Benefits and Market Potential Assessment Guide - January 2010
- Energy Storage with Staying Power - September 2015
- East Penn Manufacturing Delivers New Battery Technology for Electrical Grid Support - September 2015
- Spinning a Solution to Momentary Electric Grid Disturbances - September 2015
- Energy Storage System Firms a Renewable Resource - September 2015
Technology Performance Reports
The Technology Performance Reports for the Energy Storage projects are shown in the table below.