New York Independent System Operator, Inc.
New York Capacitor/Phasor Measurement Project
In the New York State Capacitor/Phasor Measurement Project, the New York Independent System Operator, Inc. (NYISO) and its eight transmission owner (TO) subrecipients deployed phasor measurement units (PMUs), phasor data concentrators (PDCs), and smart gridenabled capacitors. These devices provide the NYISO with enhanced transmission grid monitoring capabilities for the New York Control Area (NYCA). Project participants also deployed new software to assist in determining real‐time grid stability margins.
- Investment Grant Program
- Distribution System
- Transmission System
- Automated Capacitors
- Phasor Data Concentrator (PDC)
- Phasor Measurement Unit (PMU)
- Synchrophasor Communications Network
- Improved Electric Service Reliability and Power Quality
- Optimized Generator Operation
- Reduced Costs from Line Losses
- Reduced Wide-Scale Blackouts