Relay Replacement for Knoll Substation
Midwest Energy, Inc. (Midwest) deployed new communications equipment and smart relays at its Knoll substation. These relays included synchrophasor measurement technologies that increase grid operators’ visibility of bulk power system conditions in near-real time, enable earlier detection of problems that threaten grid stability or cause outages, and facilitate sharing of information with neighboring control areas.
Midwest Energy, Inc.
- Investment Grant Program
- Transmission System
- Energy Management Device
- Improved Transmission State Estimation System
- Phasor Measurement Unit (PMU)
- Synchrophasor Communications Network
- Transmission Angle and Frequency Monitoring
- Voltage Stability Monitoring
- Reduced Wide-scale Blackouts
- Increased Electric Service Reliability
- Reduced Truck Fleet Fuel Usage
- Reduced Greenhouse Gas and Criteria Pollutant Emissions