Isothermal Compressed Air Energy Storage
Project data has not yet been submitted.
SustainX is developing and demonstrating a modular, market-ready energy storage system that uses compressed air as the storage medium. SustainX uses a crankshaft-based drivetrain to convert electrical energy into potential energy stored as compressed air. SustainX’s ICAES system captures the heat from compression in water and stores the captured heat until it is needed again for expansion. Storing the captured heat eliminates the need for a gas combustion turbine and improves efficiency. SustainX achieves isothermal cycling by combining patented innovations with a design based on mature industrial components and principles. The system is designed for a 20-year lifetime. It achieves full power output from start-up in less than one minute, and it does not use toxic chemicals.
- Demonstration Projects
- Distributed Energy Resource
- Energy Storage
- Substitutes for transmission and distribution upgrades
- Supports the delivery of variable renewables
- Maintains the stability of the grid
- Reduces the need for gas-fired peaker units
- Increases grid efficiency through new grid managements strategies
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions
- Reduces electricity costs
- Uses no toxic chemicals